Necessity's Bastard Son

Friday, April 11, 2008


Every once in a while, I'm really happy with a purchase that I've made. This is one of those times.

I use tons of reference. I'm single-handedly killing half the worlds forests by printing out so many pictures. That being said, how do I hold all of it?

I paint on a dry erase board that I bought a couple months ago. It's just a masonite board that has a white, metal sheet attached to it. When I start a new painting, I tape it down to the board so that it doesn't buckle, and I can use magnets (pictured above) to hold reference pics while I paint. I also use it as a plain old drawing board that automatically keeps my drawing in place. This has made my life so much easier.



I found this board at Really Good Stuff, an on-line "teaching tools" company. The site lists the board at 12" x 18" which is not quite true, but thankfully, it's the perfect size for a comic book page of 11" x 17."

In a future post, I'll reveal more about how I use this board with the easel I've built for my drafting table.

In other news, this is Wolverine:

2 comments :

  1. Ah, and I was just wondering who was going to be in the next Mythos book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, that Wolvy sketch is from a few years ago... back when I thought he might be the subject of a Mythos book. As it stands, Captain America will be the final installment. It should be out this summer.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.