Captain America: The First Avenger

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Steve Rogers Head Study. 2010. Gouache and acrylic on bristol board, 11 x 17".

If you didn't get to see it during the Super Bowl, here's the teaser trailer for Captain America: The First Avenger. Call me impressed, not least of all because they managed to make Chris Evans into a convincing skinny dude—not an easy task for a single image, let alone a moving picture. The action looks great, as I would expect, and I must say I'm pretty excited to see this.

Pictured above is my painted study of Chris Evans based on an Entertainment Weekly cover. This is part of a page of studies, each of which I'll post upon competion. In the meantime, be sure to check out the official movie site, where you can download the first issue of Captain America: First Vengeance by Fred Van Lente, Luke Ross, and Richard Isanove (with a cover by me!).


12 comments :

  1. Very very nice Paolo! Yeah, Cap looks great, love how they Benjamin Buttonified Chris Evans in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one looks great. I'm sold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great portrait, Paolo! I really like the Leyendecker´s vibe on those brush strokes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the immediacy of your painting study! Did you overlay the white paint on some darker skin tones here? It creates an interesting texture.

    Also, I love how the trailer's screenshot features Cap, Bucky and even Dum Dum Dugan! :D I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everybody!

    And yes, Julian, that's exactly who I was looking at for inspiration. I was going to take it even further, but I ran out of time.

    Narciso, as I mentioned above, I was taking the Leyendecker approach, part of which consists of opaque paint over a transparent underpainting. It takes more time to do, which is why I usually shy away from it, but it certainly imbues the subject with more presence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice job! evans's look here is even more penetrating the cover of EW!
    you know what it would be nice? a vintage poster for the film by Paolo Rivera! something like the old poster of star wars or indy.

    ps. I am italian anonymous of the last time. sorry for my bad english ^ ^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really really really like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful painting, it is outstanding work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, guys!

    Ben, that would be a swell idea... we just have to bring illustrated movie posters back in vogue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you're right Paolo. but everyone would buy online :D

    Ben R.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This movie had what is lacking in alot of super-hero movies lately: emotion. Like the kind where you really care about the characters. Everything was great, from the acting, to the look and feel of the movie. The costumes were spot on. The very ending was thrilling, and be sure to stay after the credits, because you won't want to miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Netherland, I couldn't agree more. I loved every moment of this movie and I can't wait to see him reprise the role in The Avengers.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.